My sister is graduating from high school today! I can't believe it. I'm so excited for you and your future and with that, I have some sisterly advice to pass on to you.
As a big sister, it's always been my job to protect you and watch out for you. Part of being the eldest means I get to walk the roads before you and prepare you for what's ahead. It's exciting, it's scary, it's new, it's overwhelming, and in between all that, are the years that will shape and mold you into the person you want to become.
Somedays, I feel like I could write a book or a how-to guide of how to survive your early 20's or how *not* to make the same mistakes that I did, but what fun would that be?! If we are from the same bloodline, then I damn sure know you'll be stubborn and do things the hard way. Let's be real. While you'll certainly make mistakes along the way, my first piece of advice is:
Pay attention to the lessons that mistakes teach us. Don't make a habit out of repeating the same bad mistakes. Learn, grow, and implement a "plan of action" to avoid making those same mistakes again. You can spend the best years of your life wondering, "Why did I let myself do that for so long?! Ugh!" You can't get that time back so stay attentive and make changes where necessary!
Don't get stuck wasting the good years on the wrong people. Whether it be relationships or friendships, don't suffocate yourself with toxic people that don't influence you to do better and be better. Research shows you're most likely to become like the 5 people you most often surround yourself with. Choose wisely. You'd be surprised to learn that although you think you're independent and strong, people have a way of rubbing off on you over time.
Don't fall for the first person who promises you the world. Remember, actions speak louder than words. They need to show you, not tell you. If your gut is telling you it's not right, like Mom always says, "Trust it or adjust it." Your intuition knows best. Don't ignore it.
Thirdly, while we're on the topic: Do not go home with a guy that you cannot picture as the father of your children. Accidents happen, alcohol happens, and you know how those stories end! If you don't know enough about them to make that determination by the end of the night, point proven. One night of fun can turn into a lifetime of responsibility. Late night fun can turn into late-night feedings in just 9 months. Real talk.
The internet can't tell you who you should be or what you should do. Follow your heart and trust your gut. If you're feeling stuck, pursue the areas that interest you and see if they're worth pursuing further. You never know until you try. Don't waste your life wondering "what if".
Pay attention to the lessons that mistakes teach us. Don't make a habit out of repeating the same bad mistakes. Learn, grow, and implement a "plan of action" to avoid making those same mistakes again. You can spend the best years of your life wondering, "Why did I let myself do that for so long?! Ugh!" You can't get that time back so stay attentive and make changes where necessary!
Don't get stuck wasting the good years on the wrong people. Whether it be relationships or friendships, don't suffocate yourself with toxic people that don't influence you to do better and be better. Research shows you're most likely to become like the 5 people you most often surround yourself with. Choose wisely. You'd be surprised to learn that although you think you're independent and strong, people have a way of rubbing off on you over time.
Don't fall for the first person who promises you the world. Remember, actions speak louder than words. They need to show you, not tell you. If your gut is telling you it's not right, like Mom always says, "Trust it or adjust it." Your intuition knows best. Don't ignore it.
Thirdly, while we're on the topic: Do not go home with a guy that you cannot picture as the father of your children. Accidents happen, alcohol happens, and you know how those stories end! If you don't know enough about them to make that determination by the end of the night, point proven. One night of fun can turn into a lifetime of responsibility. Late night fun can turn into late-night feedings in just 9 months. Real talk.
The internet can't tell you who you should be or what you should do. Follow your heart and trust your gut. If you're feeling stuck, pursue the areas that interest you and see if they're worth pursuing further. You never know until you try. Don't waste your life wondering "what if".
Friendships will come and go. The friends you have today, may not be the friends you have five years from now. Again, that's okay! As humans, we'll continue to grow and change as we figure out who we want to be in this world. We're forever evolving! That's so important to remember, now, and ten years from now. As friends, partners, or significant others, we don't always grow together. Sometimes we hit a peak and we need to experience other things in life. It's okay to say goodbye and allow yourself to grow. Don't guilt-trip yourself into staying in a relationship that doesn't inspire you.
Another lesson of friendships and relationships is, don't waste time trying to salvage something that's not a mutual interest to each party. When you have to beg for someone's time and attention, or you're the only one initiating contact, it's not mutual. Pay attention to the friends who keep you a priority. Those are your real friends.
You're never too old, too cool, or too smart to learn something new. Knowledge is power. "Say Yes!" to things you've never tried before. Continue to expose yourself to new opportunities in life. The more you know, the more well rounded and diverse you'll be.
Happy Graduation Day, Sis! I love you so so much! I can't wait to see where life takes you!
Congratulations class of 2016! Wishing everyone the best!
Congratulations class of 2016! Wishing everyone the best!



Oh my gosh such good advice!!! I have to steal some of these for when my niece grows up.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your sister!!!
~Melanie @ ourlifeoverseas.wordpress.com
Awwwwww :) Great advice. Congrats to your sister!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI wish I'd had a sister to tell me all this when I graduated! Such loving words.
ReplyDeleteHeather @ I Wear Mascara
awww congrats to your sis!!!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow WHY DON'T I HAVE A SISTER?! You are seriously the best, giving her all this advise and feeling like a proud mama of her accomplishments :) Congrats to her and this huge milestone in her life!! I graduated 6 years ago and it still feels like yesterday. I wish i had someone to give me all this advise when I was that age!!
ReplyDeletexo Candace
Lovely Little Rants
So sweet!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete