A couple weekends ago, we enjoyed a tour at the Mayfield Dairy Factory. When we walked inside, the Mayfield shop reminded me of a Crackle Barrel store and how they're filled with toys, t-shirts, and a variety of miscellaneous knick-knacks. The Mayfield shop was the same way. We purchased our tour tickets for $4 each. As a bonus, you receive a free scoop of ice cream at the end of your tour.
We were given a yellow hairnet and seated inside a theater-type room with the rest of our tour group, where we watched an introduction video on the history of Mayfield. Some interesting facts we learned were:
-The first dairy cows were brought to America in the 17th century in 1611.
-An average cow, milked twice a day, can produce up to 160 glasses of milk.
When the video finished, our tour of the facility began. We walked by the large production rooms that contained dairy filtering systems. You weren't allowed inside any of the facility rooms, just in the hallways where you could see through the large glass windows used for viewing.
We arrived at the room where the milk jugs are filled and sealed. Some may be intrigued to learn that Mayfield milk is not only produced under the Mayfield label, but it's also the same milk you'll find under cheaper labels like Walmart's "Great Value" label. The difference between the two brands is the jug. Mayfield talks about how the yellow jug protects your milk from losing important nutrients that may be lost in a clear plastic jug.
The tour was pretty short and sweet. Initially, we thought we would see how ice cream is made but we were surprised to learn that their ice cream plant is actually located in Tennessee. This plant is specifically milk. At the end of our tour, we enjoyed a delicious double scoop of ice cream.
I think I need this bowl in my life, anyone else?







Ice cream!!!!!!! My sister went on that tour but I never made it. I think you most certainly need that bowl.
ReplyDeleteTheir Moosetracks ice cream is my favorite. I am surprised that dairy cows have only been here since 1611; would have thought it was two or three centuries more.
ReplyDeleteYUM! Such a fun tour! And now I'm totally craving ice cream! Happy Friday and Go Dawgs <3
ReplyDeleteGreen Fashionista
Oh my goodness! I am so jealous that you went on an ice cream tour! That is legitimately one of my bucket list items!
ReplyDeleteOH my gosh, how fun was this?! I need to put this on my bucket list! I would die!
ReplyDeleteThis looks SO fun! What a great looking day!
ReplyDeleteShauna
www.lipglossandlace.net
Yum, this looks so fun and delicious! 160 glasses of milk a DAY?! I had no idea it was that much! Holy cow! :)
ReplyDelete