Mom and I had been talking about planning a trip to the mountains to go hiking, so we finally made it happen. We took the RV and spent the next two days exploring trails in North Georgia and North Carolina. Fall in the mountains is always so beautiful because of the abundance of trees. The colors are so vibrant and beautiful as you drive through the winding mountains. There's only a small window where you can really appreciate the season before the leaves begin to fall. The first hike on our list was Whiteside Mountain, which is located between Highlands and Cashiers, NC.
We parked in the lot, paid the $3 parking fee, and began our hike. As you start your hike, you'll come around a curve in the gravel trail. The trail will continue straight or branch off to the right, giving you two different hiking options. The trail to the right ventured into the woods and appeared to be a steeper option. The conditions were wet from the previous night's rain, so we decided to stick to the gravel path and continue our 2-mile loop.
When we reached the overlook for Whiteside Mountain, you could see hills, valleys, and mountains in the distance. It was a rewarding view! If you take the side trails mentioned previously, you can see even more views along the way, but unfortunately, we only had time for one view before the heavy fog rolled in.
As I was taking pictures, the white fog began to creep up the edge of Whiteside mountain. Within minutes, visibility went from an 8/10 to a 0/10. It was wild! I'd never been trapped in a cloud of fog like that before. We made our way back down the mountain to the parking lot.
Overall, I'd rate this a moderate hiking trail. The incline up and down is on the steeper side, but the views make the climb worth your wild!
When we arrived at the parking lot first thing in the morning, we were the first ones there. Mom parked horizontally versus vertical. I laughed telling her, "I'm pretty positive this is not how we park, but ok." Lol, she bet me that this was definitely how you parked. When we finished the trail, I got so tickled seeing all the cars parked in the opposite direction. "I told you, Mom!"
Glad we managed to catch a sneak peek of the view before it disappeared!









What an awesome adventure! We've been in SC for three years and still haven't ventured to any Southern mountains yet. We definitely need to!
ReplyDeleteMeg, Borrowed Heaven
What a beautiful hike!
ReplyDelete