We arrived in Elijay, Georgia two hours later and followed the winding gravel road for 6 miles. We arrived at Springer Mountain and located the parking lot off Forest Service Road 42. 4 jacket layers later, I was bundled up and ready to go for a hike.
Springer Mountain is either the last point in your Appalachain journey from Maine to Georgia or the first point in your journey from Georgia to Maine. It's estimated that hiking the trail through will take approximately six months. Depending on the pace you set, you can do more or less, depending on the time frame you have to work with. I've heard of people completing the trail in as little as four months or as long as 8 months to a year.
I don't consider myself a frequent hiker but an occasional hiker. Some seasons, I hike more, others I hike less. It just depends on the year. If I was to attempt to hike the Appalachian trail through, it's something I would definitely prepare and condition for. I would love to attempt it within my lifetime. Taking 6-12 months off to hike will definitely require planning so we'll see what the future holds. My sister and I have expressed interest in hiking the Appalachian Trail in chunks. Instead of doing it in one big pass, we could make each section a separate trip and adventure. That option gives you a lot more flexibility but doesn't credit you with the monumental title of being a "thru-hiker".
The hike to the summit of Springer Mountain was a short distance of 0.9 miles. The trail was a lot rockier than we expected. We carefully stepped from over each rock, trying not to roll any ankles. It was cold and windy, but I started to get warm underneath all my layers. I stopped and removed a layer, and then continued on. Posted on a tree was a sign warning hikers not to camp in this general area due to an increase in black bear spottings. My sister is always so worried we're going to cross paths with a black bear. Thankfully, we've yet to encounter one.
When we reached the summit of Springer Mountain, there was a plaque in the mountain that read,
“A footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness.” There was a large rock in the area with a metal box tucked underneath it. The metal box had a handle on it and when you opened the box, there was a ziplock bag with two notebooks, pens, and pencils. The notebooks read "2017 A.T. Springer Mtn Log Book".
Inside were words of encouragement and wisdom from so many that had hiked before us. The logbook was truly touching and gave me goosebumps to read people's testaments to what they endured to make it to this point. Whether people hiked the trail through, hiked it in sections, or hiked the short trail to Springer Mountain, everyone left a sweet note for future hikers to read.
Days like this re-charge my mind and soul. I love time in the mountains. When I’ve had a long work week, I look forward to a weekend with mother nature. When I return home, I always feel refreshed, de-stressed, and have a positive appreciation for life again.
The frozen icicles on the rocks looked neat. It reminded me of the smoky mountains during winter when the rocks are iced over. We were hiking in the 30-degree temps of early February. A few seconds without gloves on and my hands were freezing! We began to make our descent back down the mountain towards the parking lot. The sun was beginning to set.
We checked into our hotel and settled in for the night. Overall, Springer Mountain was an easier hike, in my opinion. The trickiest part was watching the ground for loose rocks, ensuring you didn't trip or roll an ankle. Winter always provides pretty views as you're able to see through the tree line where the leaves have fallen. It was a cold but otherwise beautiful day for an afternoon hike. f you haven't yet, see the gorgeous sunrise pictures I took during our weekend in Elijay. It will brighten up your day, literally!















Those icicles are making me cold! The notebooks are so cool!!! I certainly would have enjoyed reading them, makes a little reward for the hike!
ReplyDeleteThis looks so awesome! Great photos!
ReplyDelete