Thursday afternoon (6.28.20), we left Atlanta and begin the 15-hour road-trip to visit family in Wichita, KS. We decided to drive to minimize the exposure risk to large crowds. We drove halfway and pit stopped overnight at a hotel. Best decision. Last road-trip, we decided to leave late at night thinking that Viviene would sleep through the night, which she did, but then we were both so groggy and tired from being up all night that it made the long drive, even longer.
We stayed at Hilton chain hotels both ways, there and back, as Zac had accumulated enough points from work for a free night stay. What was nice about staying with them was you can check-in on the app and use the QR code on your phone to enter the building. We were literally in and out. So easy! For breakfast, they weren't offering their normal continental breakfast due to safety reasons, so they had a grab and go bag with a muffin, apple, and snack bar.
We arrived in Wichita Friday afternoon and spent the weekend catching up with family. Our last trip, Viviene was 8 months and her cousin Fox was 1-year old, so Viviene wasn't really walking or interacting with Fox yet. This trip, they were laughing and following each other's every move. It was so cute and entertaining to watch them interact with each other.
We took the babies to a local park and Viviene was loving the sprinklers and slide. It only took one ride down the slide for her to understand, "Oh, so this is how this works." I placed her at the top of the slide and she scooted her little butt off the edge and slid down by herself. It's amazing how quick they pick up on something.
Viviene and I climbed the tower and slid down the stainless steel slide. Talk about a trip down memory lane. Instantly, I thought about the summer's I used to spend with my grandparents and the endless summer days we would spend at the local park climbing the playgrounds and sliding down the three-story high slides.
The next day, we took the babies to the Wichita Zoo. It was a hot week with temperatures in the high 90's, so all the animals had the same idea; stay cool by hiding in the shade. It was fun to see the giraffes though! One of them was superr close to us. Like, "Should he be that close?" kind of close lol, but hey, who am I to turn down this family selfie moment?!
Grandma offered to babysit so Zac and I could have a date night. We went to Mexican with some friends and then went to the nearby casino to gamble. Gambling reminds me of just how much I hate gambling lol. It's torturous to watch your hard-earned money dwindle down to nothing, but within seconds, a win can put you ahead. We lost, won, lost, and won again so we quit while we were ahead and called it a night.
A couple of days later, we returned back home to Atlanta following our week-long visit with family. It was great to see everyone!
Before we left for Wichita, we got to celebrate a couple of our favorite people who graduated from high school and college this month. Of course, no graduation went according to the norm this year, so I hope these sweet treats sweetened the mood. I've pretty much perfected my sugar cookie recipe, so I've been experimenting with other flavors. I tried my hand at Chocolate Mint and Dark Chocolate and I have to say, they were pretty delicious! Check out my other work here.













Sounds and looks like a great trip! Love the family selfie with the giraffe! Those cookies are really nicely done. I hope you had the best time with your family!
ReplyDelete