Paris: The City by Foot


We spent our next day in Paris exploring the city on foot. We visited the Arc de Triomphe, went window shopping in the fashion capital, and found souvenir shops to bring trinkets to our loved ones back home.

Concierge

First up was the Conciergerie. This building is most famously known for being the prison that held Marie Antoinette captive among many other French prisoners during the French Revolution. Today, the Conciergerie is a courthouse. You can pay to visit the cells where prisoners were held to get a better idea of what life looked like inside. Next, we visited Saint Chapelle. 





Sainte Chapelle dates back to 1248. The chapel features a gothic style, similar to Notre Dame. The inside of the chapel has beautiful stained glass windows. The church was originally built to hold Louis IX's collection of relics. Continuing our walk, we passed by the Gates to the Palace de Justice and then visited the Arc de Triomphe.


Image via Ian Kellsal at Pixab
Gates to Palais de Justice

Arc de Triomphe was built between 1806 and 1836. The construction of the famous arch was commissioned by Napoleon, the French Emperor. He wanted to honor the French Army, known as the Grande ArmeĆ© at the time, for conquering most of Europe. After Napoleon's 1805 victory in Austerlitz, he said to his Army, "You will return home through arches of triumph". This infamous quote became the concept behind the design. Inscribed on the walls are the names of the generals and the battles they fought. The arch was finished following Napoleon's death. 





3-story LV, baby!
We spent the day shopping and popping in and out of a variety of stores. On this street, sit your high-end designer boutiques. As we walked through LV, I watched this beautiful Parisian woman dressed in bling from head to toe, pick out five new handbags. Not one or two, but five! Ok, girlfriend, we see you, boo! 


The buildings are so symmetrical, it's sometimes trippy. Especially when you're in a bus and you're moving down the road at higher speeds. 


I loved this building. It wasn't anything special. Shops on the bottom, apartments on the top, but I thought it was cute.  


If you ever find yourself looking for another mode of transportation in Paris, you can rent these bicycles are stationed throughout the city. You can rent the bicycle from one location and then drop it off at another station. How convenient is that! 



After we spent half of the day touring museums and walking the streets of Paris, we at some souvenir shops. I got my Mom and sisters some Eiffel Tower memorabilia to bring home. I also purchased a handful of postcards to send home to my family. 

Trying to find a post office I got turned around and lost. I asked an elderly lady walking down the street for help. "Excuse me, do you speak English?" I asked. She looked at me, rolled her eyes, and kept walking. Next, I asked a young couple for help. They looked at each other, laughed, and continued walking. The French girl turns around and mocks me, "Yes we speak English and yes we know where to find the post office." Ok, rude! Without the help of the locals, I stumbled across a cafe that sold stamps and got my postcards in the mail. I'd heard about the French being rude but there's my first-hand experience for you! Lol

Check out the other stops I made in Paris:

4 comments

  1. paris is sooo beautiful!!!! One day I will make it there. I can't believe just how beautiful the buildings are. I love the bike system too, wish we had that here, such a smart way to get around without needing to walk if it's a longwise away.

    liz @ sundays with sophie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that the Conceriergie was a prison! It looks too pretty to be one! It sounds like you had an amazing day exploring and shopping and still got to see so much of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos! Couldn't you just walk around Paris and stare at the buildings for days? We didn't rent bikes in the city, although that would have been cool, but we did ride them around Versailles on afternoon, which was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!