Paris: Touring the Palace of Versailles



The Palace of Versailles was even more grand and beautiful than I could have ever imagined! With over 700 rooms and the ability to hold over 20,000 people, one could only imagine how many people it took to keep that palace in such pristine condition. The Palace is known for its extravagant design, gardens, and size. Keep scrolling to see why!





The Palace of Versailles was built in the 17th century for King Louis XIV, also known as The Sun King. Symbols of The Sun King can be seen throughout the Palace in paintings, sculptures, and the statues in the water fountains. 


The hot pink wallpaper is trimmed with a specialty white and gold fabric border. This room was used as an entertainment ballroom. 


The furniture and wallpaper were custom made and unique to each individual room. Unfortunately, most of the original furniture was destroyed and burned during the French Revolution, so a lot of the furniture seen has been replicated. 



This is a family portrait with Marie Antoniette and her three children. The empty bassinet signified the loss of one of Marie Antoinette's children who died from premature birth. 


Gorgeous view of the gardens from the pink entertainment room. 


This room was known as The King Chambers, where King Louis XIV rested. Marie Antoinette had her own quarters down the hall referred to as The Queens Chamber. King Louis XIV and Marie's wedding was pre-arranged by both parents as an attempt to strengthen the bond between their countries, France and Austria. King Louis XIV was only 15 and Marie was 14. They were married at the Palace in May of 1770.



This room was known as The Queen's Chamber. I love the floral tapestry! So beautiful. 
Marie had an escape door that allowed her to avoid the Paris mob that stormed the palace in 1789.  





The ceiling artwork withing the Palace is amazing! 

Image via
The Hall of Mirrors was created as a way to illuminate the halls of the palace using few candles. They did this to limit the amount of candle smoke throughout the halls of the Palace to protect the ornate walls and ceilings from possible smoke damage. 


The Hall of Mirrors isn't one long wall. The hall is actually made up of 17 arches and within those arches, there are 21 smaller mirrors bonded at the seams with bronze trim.


For each mirror arch, is a window arch that sits directly across from it and overlooks the gardens. The bronze details you see in the arches of the windows represent symbols of France. 




The Palace of Versailles is beautiful and one of those places that could dedicate an entire day to exploring! We spent an afternoon just exploring the Palace and the immediate back yard and gardens. There are even more buildings to explore on the property such as Petite Trianon, Grand Trianon, and The Hameau de la Reine. 

Check out the other stops I made in Paris:


5 comments

  1. I seriously can't get over how beautiful the Palace of Versailles is! Everything is just so ornate and stunning! The gardens are so beautiful too, as well as the views of the city! I had no idea that the bottom of the elevator was glass that you rode up to the top of the Eiffel Tower! What a cool experience to see as you're making your way to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The palace of versailles is just so oppulent - I remember going and thinking this was the most ornate thing I've ever seen - no wonder people didn't like royalty LOL! I loved the hall of mirrors though and the gardens were just stunning!! xo, Biana -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this look magical!! So cool that you got to visit so many amazing places! Paris is on my list of cities to visit one day! The story about the lady in front of the Eiffel Tower was hysterical! So funny that she is captured in your pic for all time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Hall of Mirrors is amazing! I wish I had done more excursions around Paris but it was a tad too cold to do the boat tour.

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paris looks absolutely amazing!!! All of that art!!! And the chandeliers and fancy furniture. I want one french chic room in my house one day. I just need one. Haha! I would love to go one day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!