On today's itinerary, The Metropolitan Art Museum. We prepared for another cold and windy day in the city, with temperatures in the low forties. Our hotel had a Starbucks inside, hallelujah, so we all grabbed a warm coffee on our way out, as we headed for the subway. We rode the subway from Times Square to as close as we could get before walking the remaining distance to the MET.
When we arrived, we were surprised to learn that the museum doesn't necessarily charge a set rate to enter. You pay as little or as much as you want to. "Suggested' admission is $25 for Adults, $17 for seniors, $12 for students, and free for children 12 and under. How neat!
The MET offers 5,000 years of art spanning across all cultures and time periods. The museum did a great job of bringing different time periods to life.
One of my favorite exhibits was the French exhibit with French decor, bedding, fixtures, and artwork. It reminded me of my trip to the Palace of Versailles in Paris. I love the elaborate details that went into architecture and design back in the day. I'm always impressed by the level of quality royalty demanded in their prime.
The MET was like walking around a mansion with too many rooms to count. The rooms were linked by open doorways and each room was lined with a wall of paintings, some in big and beautiful gold ornate frames.
Interestingly, my iPhone took better pictures in the museum than my DSLR,
because of the low lighting. (Feature me in your commercials, Apple!)
It amazes me what people can do with paint and brushes. Seeing these paintings up close gives you a greater sense of appreciation for the talent and amount of detail that goes into these paintings.
The detail in this sculpture was amazing.
After two hours, we had only explored the right-wing of the museum. There's so much to see, you could devote an entire day to walking the MET. If you plan on attending, I recommend wearing your most comfortable tennis shoes and planning to arrive early. We attempted to go the day before and the line was stretched around the corner.




















I remember the first time I went to the MET. It was surreal seeing some of those paintings in real life... the Monets, the Degas, the Gauguins... I actually teared up when I saw a couple of them! My Daddy is an artist so it's in my blood. <3 What a fun trip you guys had! I want to go back to NYC so bad I can't stand it!
ReplyDeleteI had to practically force my mom and sister to go with me to The Met when we visited a few years ago, and I'm so glad that I made them. Everything was so beautiful, and like you I was in awe that people could create these masterpieces! I still want to go back one day!
ReplyDeleteI loved going to the Metropolitan Art Museum. I did it on my first visit to NYC about 7 years ago. It was so beautiful, but we couldn't finish it in one day. I loved seeing all the art pieces. So beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMy college roommate lives in NYC and I just visited her a few weeks ago! Love the city. Living in Philly makes it such a (relatively!) quick trip. And OMG I would LOOOVE to have that one room as an office, too!!!
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful pieces. What a nice day out!
ReplyDeleteOh it's such a beautiful museum - I mean aside from the art, the architecture of the building is just amazing! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston
ReplyDelete